Demolition is more or less finished, and the contractor has found some, um, interesting facets of the structure.

We’d always known this house was built in pieces; we found at least three very obvious places where external walls became internal walls, or rooms were built differently than the adjacent spaces. Judging by what the contractor found in the upstairs flooring, we now think the house was built in at least five separate phases. So the only constant here has been change.

What the contractor didn’t find was much support for the upstairs flooring – in fact, some parts had no support at all. Which is why there have been a few moments where the workers would step, and their boots would come through the ceiling.

On a completely unrelated note, we spent most of the day outside the house. Totally unrelated to these holes, we swear.